Over the last decade, acupuncture and acupressure have become quite popular as major branches of alternative medicine. These medical practices are an integral part of Traditional Chinese Medicine and have a history of over 1000 years. While acupressure involves applying pressure to special points distributed across the body, acupuncture involves inserting needles at these points. Both acupressure and acupuncture are very beneficial as they help relieve a number of problems from headaches to stress to back aches to pregnancy related issues.
What’s the philosophy?
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, it is the energetic makeup of the body that determines health and illness. “Qi” or “Chi” is the vital energy that flows throughout the body. It moves along invisible lines or energy channels called meridians. There are 12 regular meridians in the body. Meridians connect organs with other parts and hence they are often known by the name of the organ they influence. The large intestine, small intestine, stomach, gall bladder, bladder, lung, heart, spleen, liver, kidney and pericardium (heart) are names of some of the meridians.
Acupoints are points mapped out along these meridians; they are gateways for the entry and exit of energy in the body. Acupoints are also called xue and tsubo. There are almost 350 acupressure points across the body. When the flow of energy is blocked at any of these acupoints, it causes diseases, aches and pains. The ailments could affect any of the organs along the meridian. The imbalance can be corrected by simply applying pressure to acupoints. Applying pressure stimulates the acupoints and corrects the imbalance. Thus, it restores health.
The Amazing Effects of Acupoints
• People with chronic migraines can use acupuncture as a treatment measure. Stimulating the acupoints relieves ordinary headaches as well as reduces the frequency of monthly migraines.
• Antihistamines are often regarded as the only solution for allergies. Acupuncture builds resistance against seasonal allergies and thus reduces dependency on antibiotic drugs. It is also useful for asthma.
• Stress, depression and insomnia are other conditions that can be treated by correcting energy imbalances. Acupuncture sessions increase the secretion of neurotransmitters that help the mind relax. It also creates a feel-good feeling.
• Acupuncture improves heart health. It reduces stress and lowers blood pressure.
• If you suffer bone stiffness, discomfort in the back, tennis elbow and Carpal Tunnel syndrome, you can relieve it by a few consecutive sessions of acupuncture.
• This alternative system of medicine also helps for a number of woman’s issues. This includes relieving menstrual cramps. For menopausal woman, it makes it easier to control symptoms such as hot flashes. In pregnant woman, it can be used to make morning sickness less severe and to induce labor as well.
• Acupuncture can be used to treat digestive disorders and hyperacidity.
• Finally, instead of spending hours on the treadmill, you can harness the energy of the acupoints to melt a few pounds and reach a healthy weight.